close
6 Pages
Back to Glossary
Multi-Day Storage
What is multi-day storage?
Multi-day storage refers to the goal of batteries storing and delivering energy supplies over long durations. Uneven renewable-energy supply and need for long-duration storage are perhaps the most significant barriers to retiring thermal power plants and achieving a reliable carbon-free power grid. Experts believe short-duration lithium-ion batteries (which typically can discharge for 4 hours) combined with emission-free sources like wind, solar and nuclear can generate 80% of US electricity at a cost-competitive rate – but the other 20% requires multi-day storage.
Related Briefs